Warm weather calls for outdoor barbeques, relaxing by the pool, and nights by a bonfire. This is why it is best to hire professionals who offer property maintenance services to ensure your yard is in excellent condition so that you can make the most of it. Check out the best low-maintenance landscaping tips from our experts to ensure you do less work and have more fun this summer.
8 Tips for Summer Landscape Maintenance
Although most people believe that summer months mean watering plants frequently, the way you water is more crucial. This is because plants and grass have mechanisms to deal with the summer heat when they get enough water. Here’s what you should do when it comes to watering plants in summer:
- Water them deeply even if you reduce the frequency.
- Ensure the grass gets at least one inch of water every week.
- Water early in the morning or during the evening hours to avoid rapid evaporation.
- Consider using drip irrigation because it allows the plants to get water slowly, thus preventing runoff.
Keep Your Grass Healthy
When it comes to keeping your grass green and healthy, it helps to check the soil pH balance and make sure it is aerated. In addition to this, use the correct fertilizers to provide your plants with essential nutrients. Also, remember to schedule a yard clean-up and remove weeds from the lawn regularly.
Although it may seem more practical to keep your grass quite short, you should avoid doing this. It may cause more damage to the grass if you cut it grass often. Instead, using proper mowing techniques can help promote the growth and good health of your lawn.
Create Great Outdoor Living Spaces
Having more outdoor living space allows you to have more room for relaxing and entertaining. It also means less yard maintenance for you in the long run. This is because there will be fewer grassy areas to care for. You may consider installing a retaining wall or have some stonework done to enhance the functionality and aesthetics of your property.
Invest in Mulch for Your Flowerbeds
Add mulch around flowerbeds and outdoor living spaces instead of planting grass or leaving dirt because it is low-maintenance and cost-effective. It also helps to fertilize your plants and use weed-prevention methods.
Choose Perennials for Your Yard Instead of Annuals
When planting your flower beds in the summer, you should consider longevity in addition to aesthetics. Doing so will help you save time and money in the long run. For low-maintenance options, perennials are a better choice than annuals. Although annuals are pretty and have the best blooms, they can cost you more because they require more upkeep.
Use Potted Plants
If you want to simplify your gardening routine, you can add potted plants to your landscape. They require less maintenance and can help make your yard more vibrant and versatile. You can arrange them at your convenience and take your aesthetics up a notch. Potted plants are also an excellent way to add more colour to your house. You can try whites and pinks in spring and summer and switch to reds and yellows in the fall.
Choose Native Plants
As an alternative to potted plants, you may have native plants in your yard. Choosing plants that thrive in your area can help reduce the time spent catering to those not used to the conditions you live in. In addition, when picking native plants, it can help to choose the ones that need less upkeep.
A Quick Guide to Landscape Maintenance in Summer
Here’s a complete and easy checklist for your summer yard & garden maintenance:
Summer Lawn Care
- Water in the morning as required.
- Mow when needed, making sure not to cut more than a third of the blade’s height each time.
- Maintain taller grass in summer if you are able because it can thrive in hot weather.
- Keep changing your mowing pattern to avoid ruts.
Summer Trees & Shrubs Maintenance
- Water new plants once a week to a depth of 1 foot and ensure the soil is moist.
- Prune spring-blooming shrubs.
- Hire hedge trimming services after the first growth.
- Weed as required around trees.
- Add mulch, and be sure to keep it 1-2 inches away from tree trunks.
- Inspect trees for damage from insects or disease.
Garden Maintenance in Summer
- Mulch flowerbeds as required.
- Harvest fruits when they are ripe and vegetables as needed.
- Prune fruit-bearing plants after fruiting.
- Follow a proper watering routine and do not let the containers become dry.
- Fertilize vegetables and flowers monthly.
Summer Hardscape Maintenance
- Weed between pavers in driveways and pathways.
- Repair cracks as needed.
- Paint the exteriors if required.
- Clean tools and equipment after each use.
Get Quick & Efficient Property Maintenance Services
Simple Solutions is a leading name when it comes to property maintenance services in Toronto and the GTA. We offer a complete range of services throughout the year to ensure your property is healthy and looks great. Our programs include:
We have a skilled team that can understand your needs and offer the best solutions. Our staff is accredited by the Landscape Ontario Horticultural Trades Association. Whether you need our services for a one-time event, a specific season, during the growing season, or year-round, we can assist you. We have the knowledge and experience to help maintain your property to your satisfaction.
If you are looking for professionals for property maintenance, give us a call at 416-271-3503. You can also fill out our online contact form to request a free estimate. Our specialists will be more than happy to help ensure your property is well maintained.